Dr. Kiera Buchanan - Founder & Director
Clinical Psychologist and Health Psychologist
Dr. Kiera Buchanan is registered as both a Clinical Psychologist and a Health Psychologist after completing the dual Doctorate of Clinical Psychology and Health Psychology.
Kiera is an advocate for therapy in the absence of a diagnosable mental health condition, reporting that "therapy offers a unique insight into and understanding of yourself as well as the development and practice of skills necessary to optimise your wellbeing and life satisfaction”.
Kiera has extensive research and clinical experience in the field of eating and weight concerns; having published papers, presented at conferences, and delivered training workshops for health professionals in the field.
Kiera recognises that her vision for addressing the current epidemic in eating- and weight-related concerns is one best realised through collaboration and joined efforts. As such, Centre for Integrative Health was opened with the vision of creating a team of passionate, dedicated, and expert practitioners who would work collectively to help reduce the rates of eating and weight concerns more broadly.
Founder and Director, Clinical Psychologist and Health Psychologist, Board Approved Supervisor BPsych (Hons), DPsyc (Clinical & Health), MAPS
Helping clients achieve long-term solutions to their eating, weight, and body-image concerns while achieving optimal physical and emotional health.
Compassion Focused Therapy for Eating Disorders, Maudsley Family Based Therapy (FBT), Enhanced Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Eating Disorders (CBT-E), Maudsley Model of Treatment for Adults with Anorexia Nervosa (MANTRA), Motivational Interviewing, and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy for Eating Disorders (DBT).
Yes - Rebates Available
$250 per initial appointment
Medicare Rebate $126.50
Out of Pocket $123.50
$225 per subsequent appointment*
Medicare Rebate $126.50
Out of Pocket $98.50
No, you can self-refer to CFIH. However, Medicare rebates are only available with a referral from a General Practitioner (GP) or Psychiatrist.
Tuesday and Wednesday in Brisbane, Thursday at Sunshine Coast
- The Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Australia and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED)
Health at Every Size Approaches, Binge Eating Disorder, Severe and Enduring Anoxeria Nervosa, Co-morbid Complex Trauma and Eating Disorder presentations, Compassion Focused Approaches
- Board member: Statewide Eating Disorder Advisory Group (EDAG)
- Executive Committee Member: Australia & New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED)
- Executive Committee Member: Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)
- Committee Member: Eating Disorders Network (EDN)
- Member: National Eating Disorders Collaboration (NEDC)
- Member: Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Member: Association of Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH)
Member: Health at Every Size (HAES)
- Buchanan, K. & Sheffield, J. (2015). Why do diets fail? : An exploration of dieters experiences using thematic analysis. Journal of Health Psychology (special issue).
- Buchanan, K., Sheffield, J., Tan, W. (2017). Predictors of diet failure: A multi-factorial cognitive and behavioural model. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Steindl, S., Buchanan, K., Goss, K., & Allan, S. (2017). Compassion focused therapy for eating disorders: A qualitative review and recommendations for further applications. Clinical Psychologist.