Dr. Kiera Buchanan - Founder & Director
Clinical Psychologist and Health Psychologist
Dr. Kiera Buchanan is the founding director of Centre for Integrative Health. Kiera is registered as both a Clinical Psychologist and a Health Psychologist after completing the dual Doctorate of Clinical Psychology and Health Psychology. Kiera is also a board-approved supervisor.
Kiera recognises that her vision for addressing the current epidemic in eating- and weight-related concerns is one best realised through collaboration and joined efforts. As such, Centre for Integrative Health was opened with the vision of creating a team of passionate, dedicated, and expert practitioners who would work collectively to liberate society from eating- and body-image concerns and in turn, foster body acceptance and diversity globally.
- Bachelor of Psychology with Honors
- Doctorate of Clinical Psychology
- Doctorate of Health Psychology
- AHPRA registered Clinical Supervisor
Like all the practitioners at CFIH, Kiera is passionate about supporting individuals to overcome concerns they may have with eating and/or body-image. Kiera also upholds CFIH’s commitment to promoting and supporting body diversity through adopting a Health At Every Size (HAES), weight-neutral approach to everything she does.
In addition to the above, Kiera is passionate about the integration of Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) with evidence-based treatments in supporting individuals to not only overcome their eating and/or body-image concerns but to find kinder and more effective ways of solving the problems their eating disorder was intended to address.
- STAP board approved clinical supervisor
- Triple P accredited practitioner
- Enhanced Cognitive Based Therapy for Eating Disorders (CBT-E)
- Family Based Therapy for Eating Disorders (FBT)
- Specialist Supportive Clinical Management (SSCM)
- Maudsley Model of Anorexia Nervosa Treatment in Adults (MANTRA)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Compassion Focused Therapy
Rebates are available under an Eating Disorder Management Plan, Mental Health Care Plan or Chronic Disease Management Plan with a referral from a General Practitioner (GP) or Psychiatrist. Please contact our Client Care Team for more information about obtaining a referral from your GP.
Kiera is also registered to provide psychological services which may attract rebates from private health insurers. Please check with your private health fund to determine your eligibility for rebates on psychological services.
Kiera is also a registered provider of the Sunshine Coast Eating Disorder Access Trial (SCEDAT). She is also a registered provider for Australian Institute of Sport (AIS). For more information about seeking support either through SCEDAT or for AIS athletes, please speak to our Client Care Team.
No referral is required, you can self-refer to CFIH and may be eligible for a rebate through your private health insurer. Please note however, Medicare rebates are only available with a referral from a General Practitioner (GP) or Psychiatrist.
Kiera is available for client appointments at our Brisbane clinic on Tuesdays and at our Sunshine Coast on Thursdays.
- The Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Australia and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED)
- Board member: Statewide Eating Disorder Advisory Group (EDAG)
- Executive Committee Member: Australia & New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED)
- Executive Committee Member: Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)
- Committee Member: Eating Disorders Network (EDN)
- Member: National Eating Disorders Collaboration (NEDC)
- Member: Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Member: Association of Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH)
- Member: Health at Every Size (HAES)
- Buchanan, K. & Sheffield, J. (2015). Why do diets fail? : An exploration of dieters experiences using thematic analysis. Journal of Health Psychology (special issue).
- Buchanan, K., Sheffield, J., Tan, W. (2017). Predictors of diet failure: A multi-factorial cognitive and behavioural model. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Steindl, S., Buchanan, K., Goss, K., & Allan, S. (2017). Compassion focused therapy for eating disorders: A qualitative review and recommendations for further applications. Clinical Psychologist.
- Australia and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED) (2018). Bringing binge eating disorder into focus: The sidelined eating disorder. Journal of Psychiatry.