Accredited Exercise Physiologist
AEP AES ESSAM B.ClinExPhysiology (Hons.)
Alanah Dobinson is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist with a passion for assisting those with mental health and eating issues.
Alanah helps clients, their families and clinicians understand safe exercise for all types of eating disorders.
Her three main priorities are to:
- Rejuvenate the body, not exhaust or deplete it
- Increase mind-body connection, not allow or induce disconnection
- Alleviate mental and physical stress, not produce more stress
Alanah is passionate about assisting clients to maximise their health and optimise their functional ability, in medically and psychologically appropriate ways. She is currently creating international exercise guidelines for people with eating disorders, which she hopes will be available in 2018.
Alanah says, “Every body is different and has the ability flourish. We need to make sure we move our bodies in an enjoyable, refreshing, medically-appropriate way, which helps improve our health, not compromise it”.
Whilst completing her studies, Alanah worked as the head tutor for Anatomy and Physiology at the Queensland University of Technology. She now enjoys guest lecturing students and health professionals about exercise and eating issues.
- Maudlsey Family Based Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for eating disorders
- ESSA Blog: “Exercise To Treat An Eating Disorder?” Exercise Right Week (2016)
- Activate Magazine interview: Exercise For Eating Disorders (2016)
Conference presentations & workshops
- National oral presentation: The Formation of Exercise Guidelines for Eating Disorders, at the Australia and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders Conference (ANZAED) (2017)
- Australia-wide webinar: Exercise for Eating Disorders, for Education In Nutrition (2017)
- Australia-wide webinar: Exercise For Eating Disorders to the RACGP, Exercise Physiologists and students, on behalf of the governing body of Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) (2016)
- Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)
- Australia and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED)
- Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA)